Blog for hpHosts, and whatever else I feel like writing about ....

Tuesday 2 October 2012

Next hpHosts release, VB2012

As some of you know, I've been in the US for VB2012 and to visit the chaps and chapesses at the Malwarebytes HQ since September 24th, got back around mid-day on the 30th.

First and foremost, I'd like to say thank you to those involved in VB2012, as it was fantastic. Indeed, the only things I didn't like, were the bleedin heat (felt like I was melting), and the lack of both wifi and plug sockets on the planes (had never been out of the UK before, and was terrified of flying (still am - it's not normal!!)).

I also got to meet a living legend in Dallas - Alex Eckelberry, and Marcelo Rivero, amongst a plethora of others (I'm rubbish with names, so embarrasingly, can't remember the names of half of them).

The presentation I went to Dallas to do with David Harley (Eset), Martijn Grooten (Virus Bulletin) and Craig Johnston (Independent researcher, formerly Sophos), went well, despite the nerves getting the better of me (was not only my first flight, but my first presentation too).

On the subject of the presentation, one of the things we focused on, despite what the telephony scam was all about (for those that didn't already know), but also what could be done about it, and this included asking for more involvement, not only from the banks/financial institutions, law enforcement etc, but also from you - the security community, and most importantly, the public. If you'd like to get involved, please contact either myself, David, Craig or Martijn. The more help we can get, the better.

Due to being away, the hpHosts release was delayed, it is now due to be published on October 5th. As always, the partial update is available for those that would like to use it. The easiest method of doing this, is via programs such as HostsMan.

No comments: