Blog for hpHosts, and whatever else I feel like writing about ....

Thursday 8 October 2009

hpHosts server

Just a note folks, the hpHosts server is in the process of being rebooted due to a major resource overload (it's actually taking over 15 mins just for it to shutdown ready for restart).

Apologies for the disruption.

/edit

Just an update, the server has been rebooted, and I've reconfigured it to try and allow for the extremely high traffic (around 3 times the amount of a few days ago), but sadly, it's not going too well, with the server constantly spending it's CPU time at around 80-90% usage. I've got a backup machine that I can use to try and lighten the load for now, so am going to get that setup and some of it spread over, as soon as I can.

/edit 16:58

Oks, I've setup the backup machine and moved over hpHosts (forums are still on the original server). I think I've remembered everything, but if you notice anything wrong, please do let me know.

3 comments:

Oldstyle said...

I've just received my Windows Secret newsletter and the top story mentions hphosts with a link to the site. I suspect this will step up the traffic considerably.

Good luck with the server issue.

redwolfe_98 said...

hey stephen.. regarding the hpHosts website, at the website, i am not able to pull up the "partial" update to the hpHosts HOSTS file, or open the hpHosts forum webpages..

i appreciate the work that you are doing with the hpHosts HOSTS file..

MysteryFCM said...

Cheers guys :o)

Not sure why the forums wouldn't be working (they're working fine at this end :o( ).

I know there's still extremely high traffic on the hpHosts server itself however, so it's running alot slower than normal at present :o(