Blog for hpHosts, and whatever else I feel like writing about ....

Tuesday 10 February 2009

Symantec's "KhanhT" talking bollocks

It normally takes alot to annoy me to the point of profanity, but this guy has pissed me off with a single sentence. Just about to have a smoke, I read;

By partnering with Ask.com we can offer server-side security features embedded in search results that cannot be achieved with Norton 360 alone


The above is a partial quote, taken from his post at;

http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=N360_PB&thread.id=640



I'm afraid "KhanhT", you're talking bollocks. You COULD do that with ANY of your products, WITHOUT requiring the Ask crapware - Web of Trust and Site Hound, amongst others, have shown that you CAN provide security embedded in search results, WITHOUT having to go to the dark side and partner with a known crapware vendor!!!.

If they can do it, why can't you? Woops that's right, YOU DO!.

But wait, there's more ......

Search is a fundamental part of the online user experience and it underlies most online activities. By embedding the search box in the Norton toolbar, we make it easy for users to access and benefit from the Safe Search feature.


Oh no you don't! ShellExecute and a text box does the same damn thing, with a dropdown for the search engine selection. I could throw a search box into one of my applications in 30 seconds, and I don't have millions of $$$ and a team of developers, and guess what - I STILL WOULDN'T NEED TO RESORT TO ASK.COM TO DO IT!

If you're going to try and defend something, at least use the REAL reasons, and not a complete load of tosh.

/edit 24-04-2009

Seems Symantec moved the thread I referenced above without wanting anyone to know. The new URL is below, with the old one now leading to a login box;

http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=nis_feedback&message.id=37117&query.id=84527#M37117
http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=nis_feedback&message.id=37384&query.id=84527#M37384

Kudos to Donna @ CoU for locating the new thread for me :o)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, talking about a once great company gone down the toilet....